Start a Business

5 Steps to Starting Your Own Business

1. Choose a Structure

  • Sole Proprietorship
  • Limited Liability Company (LLC)
  • General Partnership
  • Limited Partnership (LP)
  • Corporation (C, S or Benefit)

2. Register your Business & Its Name

If your business is not your personal name, it must be registered with the Greene County Clerk of the Circuit Court located at Court Square in Stanardsville. The registration fee is $10.00. For questions, call (434) 985-5208.

If your business is a corporation, LLC or an LP, it must be registered with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) in Richmond, VA. Contact the SCC at (804) 371-9733.

3. Get your Tax Numbers

The Employee ID Tax Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number and is used to identify a business entity. Apply online:

4. Establish your Business Location

  • CONTACT Planning & Zoning:
    • 434-985-5282, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • All Businesses locating to Greene County must submit the following:
    • Zoning Certifications: All businesses require a zoning certification prior to applying for a business license.
    • Sign Permits: Any business desiring a sign must submit and receive approved sign permits.
  • Additionally, some businesses may require supplemental permits such as:
    • Site Development Plan
    • Rezoning request
    • Special Use Permit request
    • Erosion & Sediment Control/Storm Water Management requirements
    • Home Businesses require a Special Use Permit.
    • Home Occupations require a Home Occupation Permit.
  • CONTACT Building Inspections:
    • 434-985-5204, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • When a building permit is required, you will need to submit:
    • Two (2) sets of building plans
    • Water/sewer EDU purchase confirmation
    • General contractor’s license information
    • All subcontractor’s license information
    • Additional information may be required
  • Fees for building permits are due upon submission.

5. Get Your Licenses

  • All businesses operating in the County of Greene must obtain a Business License through the Commissioner of Revenue. The license fee will vary depending on the type of business and the subsequent annual renewal fee is based upon the business’ gross receipts. Licenses must be renewed annually by March 1st.

The Commissioner of Revenue
15 Ford Avenue
Stanardsville, VA 22973
(434) 985-5211

  • A Contractors License is required for all contractors who bid on or accept jobs for more than $1,000. Register with the State Board for Contractors (SBC) at (804) 367-8511.

  • Businesses manufacturing liquor, wholesaling beer and wine, selling beer or wine or selling spirits by the drink must obtain an Alcoholic Beverage License through the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverages. Contact ABC at 630 Peter Jefferson Pkwy, Suite 260, Charlottesville, VA or by phone at (540) 332-7800.

  • All food establishments must obtain a Health Permit prior to obtaining a business license. The Greene Co. Health Department is located at 50 Stanard St, Stanardsville, VA 22973. Contact (434) 985-2262. 

County of Greene

Greene County VirginiaGreene County is a county in central Virginia in the eastern United States. Greene County was established in 1838. Its county seat is Stanardsville.

Learn more about Greene County.


  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


  Fax: 434-985-3705

  40 Celt Road, Stanardsville, VA 22973

Contact a County Department